I was sick a lot as a kid. A lot, a lot. I was skinny, pale, red-haired, freckled and always coming down with something. For real. I had scabies and head lice, constant bronchitis, pneumonia, and rashes galore, to pretty much everything. Add in the pale pink, super thick Golden Girls glasses and, well, hi.
What I hated the most, though, besides the thick, pink penicillin tincture I’d have to drink that tasted like gritty bananas, was when my mother would fill her huge, yellow, Corningware mixing bowl with boiling hot water and force me to stick my face into it and take deep breaths. To add insult to injury, she’d throw a towel over my head so I couldn’t even look around and my glasses would fog up.
Thankfully I outgrew a lot of that nonsense, but guess what? I still have breathing issues from time to time- but no more huge, yellow Corningware mixing bowls for me, MOM!
So, yeah, doTERRA’s Eucalyptus essential oil has changed my life. Nothing funny about that. This little lovely supports clear breathing and open airways among other things. SO MANY other things and I’m taking you there. RIGHT. NOW. Today’s body, mind and spirit connection is to: Eucalyptus.
The changing of the seasons can be a challenging time for the immune and respiratory systems, don’t ya know? At least it is at our house. (Well, used to be)
Oils with high amounts of the chemical component eucalyptol are highly effective in the respiratory system. In fact, Chinese scientists identified in preliminary tests that eucalyptol protected against immune system changes and respiratory challenges commonly associated with seasonal changes.
REMEMBER, now: In order for essential oils to be completely effective, they must be pure and potent. Too often, essential oils available for sale contain impurities and fillers (See more HERE). These unwanted substances weaken the power of an essential oil and can reduce its ability to satisfy individual needs. To ensure that all doTERRA essential oil products are effective, potent, and pure, doTERRA puts each batch of essential oils through the CPTG Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® protocol. If it’s not CPTG do NOT put it on or in your body- but then, what the heck is the POINT?? There isn’t. Just go with doTERRA.
Eucalyptus Oil Uses and Benefits
- Keep your surfaces clean and fingerprint free with the cleansing benefits of Eucalyptus oil all-purpose spray. RECIPE BELOW. This spray is perfect for a quick clean around the house and smells great!
- Make your shower experience even more relaxing. Place two drops Eucalyptus oil directly onto the shower floor while you are showering. The steam from the water will create a natural diffuser for the Eucalyptus oil, leaving you with a clear, invigorated feeling. You can do this with doTERRA’s Breathe too. It’s beautiful especially on days when you prefer to breathe clearly.
- For those days when you, or someone you want to love, has dog breath, do some swishing with water and 1-2 drops of Eucalyptus. It can help kill off all the ick that causes bad breath, not just the breath itself. Can also be useful in helping guard against many other common mouth issues. Swish. Gargle. Repeat as needed.
- Hey! Got skin? Don’t just settle for a run-of-the-mill lotion. Transform your moisturizer into a beneficial product for your skin and your senses. Add one drop of Eucalyptus essential oil to a moisturizer of your choice. Rub this mixture together and then apply it to your skin for revitalizing benefits. Great with Frankincense and Lavender too!
- Next time you feel tension, place a few drops of Eucalyptus oil into your hands, cup your hands over your nose, and inhale deeply. This simple and quick process will give you a calming yet energizing boost. Took my kids to the children’s museum, so, yeah, this was me T.O.D.A.Y.
- I have a few friends who do massage for a living and they use doTERRA’s oils, especially Eucalyptus to create a soothing massage experience. Eucalyptus can be easily combined with a cream or lotion of your choice to help spread the effects of the oil while also bringing moisturizing benefits to your skin. The chemical components found in Eucalyptus oil also produce a soothing, cooling vapor, which makes it an ideal oil for massage use.
- The aromatic benefits of Eucalyptus oil can be easily obtained when diffused. During the winter months or on a cold, dreary day, use Eucalyptus oil to invigorate, soothe, and uplift, not to mention respiratory support. Eucalyptus blends well with Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Lavender, and Cedarwood essential oils for diffusion. Let’s keep those airways (and minds) open!
- Yoga and meditation can both be calming activities that can help unify and revitalize your body. Part of what makes these activities so renewing is having time to clear the mind of unnecessary or cluttered thoughts. To help enhance your yoga or meditation experience, incorporate Eucalyptus oil into your practice, as it helps clear the mind.
If you are pregnant, nursing or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas, PLEASE. (geez.)
Have you heard of carcinogens? Even if you haven’t, they’ve heard of you and they can seriously cause cancer because they’re nasty. Let’s not be victims any longer! No more cleaning the house, yay!
Ok, well, no. If you’re one of those house cleaning type of people, you’re one fo the many breathing them in daily, through innocuous household items, like spray cleaners. DoTERRA makes a cleaner that we use in our house, but you can make your own too:
Hey, tell your maid!
There is no need to pull out your rubber gloves and surgical masks when you clean my home! It might surprise you to know that you can concoct simple and inexpensive non-toxic cleaners from ingredients already lying around your house. Using essential oils to create your own cleaning spray is not only safe on the environment, but is safe for your family as well. This spray is perfect for cleaning hard surfaces in the kitchen, bathroom, etc.
16 oz. glass spray bottle
1/4 cup white vinegar
1¾ cups water
30 drops doTERRA essential oil
Recommended essential oil combinations:
- 15 drops each of Lavender and Lemon
- 10 drops each of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Wild Orange
- 30 drops doTERRA On Guard
- 15 drops each of Grapefruit and doTERRA On Guard
- Add all ingredients to spray bottle.
- Shake thoroughly.
A good salve can be the base to many amazing recipes. Similar to the texture of petroleum jelly, you can customize this salve with essential oils to meet your needs. Add doTERRA’s Breathe to help maintain feelings of clear airways, doTERRA’s Serenity or Lavender to help you rest better, or Citrus Bliss for an invigorating moisturizer. The options are endless!
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup almond oil
2 tablespoons beeswax
1/2 tablespoon vitamin E oil
5 drops Lavender, Cypress, Melaleuca, Frankincense, and Eucalyptus essential oils
- Melt beeswax in double boiler.
- Once melted, add grapeseed, almond, and vitamin E oil until melted.
- Once combined, set aside for 2-3 minutes.
- Add essential oils and stir.
- Pour in container and allow to set for 2 hours.
- To use, apply to skin or on chest.
Fun facts: Eucalyptus trees are sometimes referred to as Gum Trees, chewed pretty much by just Koala. I, myself, do not chew. Also, commonly used to make didgeridoos, a wind instrument used by Aborigines.
Derived from the leaf of a tall evergreen tree, Eucalyptus oil offers many topical and aromatic benefits. Because the main chemical components of Eucalyptus oil are eucalyptol and alpha-terpineol, this essential oil has a soothing, cooling vapor.
Eucalyptus is a powerful, natural disinfectant that can be toxic in large quantities. Often you will see warnings to keep it away from children. Many cough suppressants (liquid, lozenges etc) cautious against use with children under 6. Why? Because Eucalyptus in raw form of any kind is extremely powerful. See this sweet, lil’ pun’kin? That’s my Emmeline. Babies like her don’t need something so strong. doTERRA has a lot of essential oil options if you’re concerned you might overuse or misunderstand Eucalyptus.Really, very young kids simply don’t need such force.
It’s like… she’s crying for food and you hand her a piece of meat and a steak knife. Slow down, there, Momma. All in good time.
Eucalyptus’s main constituent is 1,8 cineole. If you look at the available data on this component, you find that daily use of properly applied essential oils are a safe and healthful practice for kids. (Of course, it is always a good safety practice to store essential oils out of reach of children anyway because those humans seriously lack self-control at times)
It can be applied topically or aromatically, but it is one of a few essential oils that is not recommended for internal use. DoTERRA’s Eucalyptus is *exceedingly* powerful because of its purity. Err on the side of caution and start small.
For adults, undiluted application is acceptable. As with any essential oil topical application, to preserve the lasting effects of the oil and prevent flash-off or volatilization, one should consider dilution with a carrier oil (e.g. Fractioned Coconut Oil, etc.). For children or those with sensitive skin, moderate to heavy dilution is recommended.
The reports of serious adverse events associated with Eucalyptus oil in scientific literature have always involved excessively large (> 5mL) amounts taken internally or placed directly into the nose. That is pretty much a third of a doTERRA bottle of Eucalyptus, chugged all at once. What the heck. Greedy.
Of course, these excessive amounts are well beyond the normal usage range. Nonetheless, eucalyptus oil, like all oils, should be used cautiously with younger children. Overwhelming the body with too much essential oil can sometimes lead to unwanted outcomes so, it’s important that you stay educated:
- start small
- dilute as you go
- increase gradually
- see how your own body responds
- adjust as needed
SO. Now that you’re an expert on Eucalyptus, riddle me this: What part of the body is, like Eucalyptus essential oil, powerful and effective when used correctly, but can be toxic when misused, or in large doses? Answer: It’s the tongue. Yes, that piece of meat between your cheeks.
In James chapter 3, that tiny troublemaker is addressed thoroughly and it’s not pretty. Who of us hasn’t, at one time or another, misused the power of the tongue and, well, said something… something that should not have been said? Something we regretted or wished we could take back/change/reword/unsay?
Someone I love dearly once said to me, when I was a teenager: “Some people swing with an ax, but you cut with a scalpel.”
You know, I never forgot that? It’s always stuck with me and it’s something 1) I have never been proud of and 2) I have repeatedly submitted to the Lord to help me gain control over.
James 3:2-10 says, “Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way. We can make a large horse go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a small rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot chooses to go, even though the winds are strong. In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And among all the parts of the body, the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself. People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!”
Have you ever allowed your tongue set your WHOLE LIFE on fire? Oh, I HAVE. Powerful and effective when used correctly, the tongue is. Words that can bring life, uplift and encourage, build up, restore, educate, praise. But, toxic when misused- oh yes. Words can literally kill. This is WAY too chunky of a subject to tackle here, but let me encourage you- if your heart is filled with the Word of God, your mouth will be filled with His words also- and His words are always life-giving. THAT is where the real power lay.
The Bible is FULL of wisdom concerning the tongue and what it speaks because the mouth betrays the content of the heart (Luke 6:45), and while we look on the outward appearance, the Lord perceives the inward heart of us all (1 Samuel 16:7).
Proverbs 10:32, “The lips of the godly speak helpful words…”
Proverbs 15:28, “The heart of the godly thinks carefully before speaking…”
Ephesians 4:29, “Let no unwholesome word proceed out of your mouth, but only that which is good for building up, that it may give grace to the listeners.”
Psalm 19:41, “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.”
And, finally, here’s this: “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” (Proverbs 18:21) –> If you’ve ever killed someone’s spirit with your words, welcome to the club. Thankfully, God is full of compassion, slow to anger and rich in love (Psalm 145:8)- and we need to be the same way toward others.
Fill your mouth with the words of God, and you’ll never have to worry about what you’llsay. Your words will always bring life. King David wrote, “I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise will continually be in my mouth.” (Psalm 34:1)
It won’t happen overnight and it won’t be easy, especially if you’re like me and words are your thing. But the Word of God can be trusted. Fill your heart with His Words and your mouth will speak them.
Be blessed, friends!
If you’d like to get doTERRA’s essential oils into your home, I am happy to help you with that! Visit this page for all the information you need to get started:
If you’re interested in learning more about doTERRA’s essential oils, living a wellness lifestyle or how to get started with oils in your home, I’d love to connect with you!
I teach classes remotely (Zoom, Google Hangouts, Facebook etc.) or in person, and I love to even connect one-on-one if you’d like to have a conversation about essential oils.
Reach out to me and let’s talk!
CONNECT WITH ME:
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.