It’s only a few days before December. DECEMBER. What the heck. December 2016. I seriously remember right where I was 20 years ago – wishing for Puma sneakers and some baby doll shirts for Christmas. (See this pic from Christmas Day, 1996? My dreams came true!) Where did the time go?
Our family is doing Christmas much differently this year than we have in the past. We’re simplifying. Simplifying the gifts we give. Simplifying the decorations. Simplifying how we celebrate. I’m really looking forward to it!
In honor of the season, I am focusing on an essential oil that represents the birth of Jesus Christ. I cannot wait to show you how powerful this oil is- in both its effectiveness AND its symbolic meaning. I was truly blown away when I learned about the deep, spiritual meaning of Myrrh and why it was given to Jesus at His birth. I got SO choked up as I learned more and more. Even though the Wise Men most likely had no idea of the significance of their gifts, God did, and Myrrh was given to His son because it was a prophetic sign of things to come.
Grab a cuppa something warm, sit and rest for a moment and enjoy today’s Body, Mind and Spirit connection to: Myrrh.
Because of its versatility and effectiveness, Myrrh has been valuable across many cultures for centuries. With countless applications, Myrrh was used anciently for everything from medicine to religious purposes. Today, the resin extracted from the myrrh tree is transformed into an herbaceous, woody essential oil that still holds relevant applications. Whether you want to promote smooth, youthful-looking skin, promote emotional balance, or cleanse the body, Myrrh essential oil holds limitless uses for everyday life.
- Add 1–2 drops of doTERRA’s Myrrh to ¼ cup of water with a little agave or honey to help ease the stomach.(Note: This information applies ONLY to doTERRA’s Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils. Do NOT ingest any others as they could be very harmful)
- Try on minor cuts, scrapes or burns, stings and other skin-surface irritations for soothing. Can blend into doTERRA’s Correct-X essential oil ointment as well to apply to skin problems.
- The soothing benefits of Myrrh essential oil are very useful when it comes to shaving too- all kinds of places.If you don’t want to be left with irritated skin after shaving, try some DIY Razor Relief Serum (recipe below). Great for anyone who gets bumps in certain places…
- Myrrh essential oil is great when you want to uplift your mood or promote mental clarity or awareness. Myrrh is a popular oil to diffuse during the holidays, because it can help maintain peaceful feelings throughout the home.
- In addition to its benefits for the skin, Myrrh essential oil can be helpful when promoting healthy fingernails or toenails. If you have dry, crusty cuticles, try blending Myrrh with Vitamin E or coconut oil and massage in well, twice a day. This can also be used on the hands, lips, or any dry skin.
- Another beneficial property of Myrrh essential oil is that it promotes a youthful-looking complexion and offers a soothing sensation to the skin. To use Myrrh oil for skin, try adding one or two drops to your daily lotion or moisturizer. Apply on face and body. This mixture can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, particularly when used daily.
- Myrrh essential oil is well known for its ability to cleanse the mouth and throat. Daily, add one or two drops of Myrrh essential oil to your toothpaste when you want added cleansing benefits. For an effective mouth rinse, combine one drop of Myrrh oil and two ounces of water. Gargle this combination for 30 seconds to get extra clean. Great as a preventative too- keeping that mouth clean and sanitary and you’re less likely to … contract something.
DIY SOOTHING POST-SHAVE CREAM FOR ALL PERSONAL, BUMPY NEEDS
- Place Fractionated Coconut Oil and rosewater in glass spray or pump bottle.
- Add essential oils and shake.
- To use, spray directly on skin or place 2-3 pumps in palms and rub on affected skin.
Myrrh is mentioned 152 times in the Bible.In any form, it was costly because it only grows in specific locations, environments and conditions and it must be harvested in a specific manner.
Myrrh, similar to its cousin Frankincense, is a resin. It is the life-blood of the Commiphora myrrha tree and in order to access that blood, the tree must be repeatedly hacked at- stabbed and wounded, and made to bleed its resin.
The tree is heavily scarred from being repeatedly wounded and as the resin it bleeds begins to harden, it can then be collected and distilled into an essential oil.
The myrrh tree has a very distinctive, knotted trunk, is very thorny and doesn’t have many leaves because the tree exists in such a dry and harsh climate. Because of the abuse of its environment, the Myrrh tree often has an odd shape, very twisted as it grows amid the harsh winds and weather conditions.
Did you ever read a book or see a movie showing how people way back in …. well, olden times, would use ether to knock someone unconscious? Like a surgeon, for example. It’s actually the same (only safer) concept- ethers in CPTG essential oils are wonderful and effective for calming and rest. (To really knock a person out, however, you’d have to use very large and toxic doses- so don’t try it unless you’ve been thinking about catching some down time and state-funded calming and relaxation of your own-in the Big House on a murder rap.)
Myrrh essential oil is used today for many of same reasons it was used thousands of years ago- internal health, skin issues, cleansing, protection and rest. Scientifically speaking, the sesquiterpene ethers in Myrrh essential oil are known for their soothing properties, which is why Myrrh is useful for soothing the skin or soothing emotions.
Due to its highly aromatic nature, Myrrh has been used since ancient times for medicine, perfumery, incense, religious purposes, and burials. In Arabic, the world myrrh means “bitter.”
You know, I often wondered how the Wise Men, from the Far East, *extremely* far away, especially by camel, knew how to track Jesus down when He was born. They charted stars, yes. They studied prophecies, yet. But HOW did they know to do that? Traditional thought is that they had come from Persia. How could they have known or cared about some baby, born somewhere- enough to travel that far, packed with luxurious gifts to give?
And then, one day, it hit me- the Book of Daniel! In the Bible, Daniel was written thousands of years before Jesus’ birth, during the time Israel had been taken into exile by the Medes and the Persians. We know Daniel had a position of *tremendous* influence as second-in-command to the king, and was willing to risk his life to worship God (remember the whole lions’ den debacle?)
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego too- all four of these intelligent and educated young men had risked their lives to serve the Lord. And all were given positions among the prophets, dream tellers and magicians. It is clear now- thousands of years before Jesus’ birth, God had paved the way for Him. The Wise Men from the East knew to come because DANIEL had taught them from the Scriptures and Biblical prophecies that the Savior would be coming. W.O.A.H. If that doesn’t blow your mind… God had a plan- the whole time…
So, as for Myrrh- one of the gifts the Wise Men from the East brought to Jesus, the newborn King of whom they had heard from long ago- did you read about how Myrrh is harvested??
Jesus Christ was born to die for the sins of the world. Isaiah, one of the prophets who foretold of Jesus’ death said this, “…My servant grew up in the Lord’s presence like a tender green shoot, like a root in dry ground… He was despised and rejected— a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care…But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed…But it was the Lord’s good plan to crush Him and cause him grief…[and] When he sees all that is accomplished by his anguish, He will be satisfied. And because of His experience,my righteous servant will make it possible for many to be counted righteous, for He will bear all their sins.” (Isaiah 53)
We know Jesus’ head was pierced with a crown of thorns. He was stabbed in His side where His blood flowed. He was repeatedly whipped and then nailed to the cross. And yet, it was His life-blood shed on the cross that has made way for our salvation and healing.
How deeply profound that, at His birth, Jesus was given Myrrh- from a tree made of thorns, that must be stabbed and wounded into its very core, to be made to bleed out its life-blood. Myrrh was also present at Jesus’s death and burial. Jesus was offered wine and myrrh before His crucifixion (Mark 15:23). Do you know why??
Remember that Myrrh’s chemistry is an ether- it was a drug, offered to Jesus as He suffered, to dull His pain- and He refused it. He refused to not feel every, single painful cut, lash, puncture, tear. His kept His mind clear and, in doing so, suffered greatly- for our sake.
Then, His body was wrapped in a 100-pound mixture of myrrh and aloes by Joseph of Arimathea. Argh. The symbolism and deliberate placement of Myrrh through Jesus’ life is almost overwhelming. God the Father knew what He was doing, all along! The Wise Men brought the young Jesus a gift that was prophetic of His suffering to come, of the harshness He would have to endure in His environment, of the pain it would take to shed His blood.
Isn’t that SO POWERFUL? I mean, look at the purpose that God infused into Jesus’ life- it was all for us, friends. And beautiful, strong, resilient Myrrh was the way that God used to show us He knew what He was doing.
Be blessed, friends!
If you’d like to get doTERRA’s essential oils into your home, I am happy to help you with that! Visit this page for all the information you need to get started:
If you’re interested in learning more about doTERRA’s essential oils, living a wellness lifestyle or how to get started with oils in your home, I’d love to connect with you!
I teach classes remotely (Zoom, Google Hangouts, Facebook etc.) or in person, and I love to even connect one-on-one if you’d like to have a conversation about essential oils.
Reach out to me and let’s talk!
CONNECT WITH ME:
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.